May 7, 2009

Flu..

I know my kids don't have the H1N1 flu (swine). I was never really worried about it. There have been no reported cases in my entire state. So when they started having symptoms of a flu or viral cold I didn't really panic. Jonathon had it first. His cough got worse so I took him in to the doctor. Because of the whole pre-pandemic going on they took an extra flu test and sent in to the CDC. They did a CBC blood test and chest X rays. He turned out to have acute bronchitis. That was Monday and now after antibiotics, prednisone, and nebulizer breathing treatments it's Thursday and he's back at school.
Two nights ago my little one started to have the same thing. But this child's fever spiked to 104'. I didn't know what to do so I took her to the ER. They did almost the same things they did for Jonathon. Chest X ray, and two flu tests (swab of the nose). And they sent one to the CDC. They diagnosed her with bronchitis as well and gave her antibiotics. But last night she had a fever that was 105'. I stayed up most of the night worried. To make her fever go down I cooled her with a wet cloth, and gave her Motrin.
She's a little better today.. I hope and pray she gets well soon. I need a shower and some sleep.
I have an opinion on this whole H1N1 thing and the flu in general but I'm too tired right now to post anything. All I'll say is that folks should educate themselves. You don't have to turn into a crazy or become a hypochondriach. But being informed is a very wise decision to make for you and your children's well being.
I got these from the CDC website.

Cover your nose with a tissue when you sneeze. Visit www.cdc.gov/h1n1 for more information.Wash your hands with soap and clean running water. Visit www.cdc.gov/h1n1 for more information.Stay home if possible when you are sick. Visit www.cdc.gov/h1n1 for more information.Keep your sick kids home from school. Visit www.cdc.gov/h1n1 for more information.

No comments: