Apr 14, 2009

Gardening Season? Really?

Is it really time to plant my garden? It's so cold outside and we keep getting freeze warnings I'm a little confused. I was hoping that this week was the week to plant my cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, herbs, lettuce, swiss chard, pole beans, and onions. I think I'll give it a try and keep them warm if nessasary with a milk carton and a blanket.
I love planting a garden. Last year I learned so much from trial an error. My winter crop of broccoli, brussel sprouts and carrots didn't make it. I know what I did wrong, I didn't have proper covering for them when it froze. So I'll be prepared next time.
As for my summer crop I'm trying a few new things. the onions, swiss chard, and beans are new to me. So lets pray I figure it out.
This Thursday I'm teaching an Enrichment class for Relief Society about gardening with an emphasis on Square Foot Gardening.
Square foot gardening is such an awesome way to grow so much in a little space and have le
ss maintenance. Weeding is very minimal because it's in a box and you import all the soil. You also don't have to worry about the ph level of your soil or such things.
The only thing is that it's difficult to find the things I need here in my region. It takes a good hunt to find it all. But it's worth it in the long run.. you use the same garden plot year after year.
My garden picture on the right is from last year... let's hope my garden is prolific this year as well.
The book? It's one of my educational resources. Mel Batholomew's Square Foot Gardening is incredible!

1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

Rose you did such a great job on teaching the gardening class! You put so much effort into it and the hand outs were appreciated.

Thank you for the plants! This year we will have a small garden but next year I am hoping to have the real thing :0}