Feb 9, 2011

Rad... it really is a word!

I just thought I'd post a little something about the word Rad. The Urban Dictionary states the following:
Rad :

An abbreviation of 'radical'--a term made popular by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Still primarily used by people on the West Coast who find words like 'cool', 'awesome', and 'tight' to be tired and overused; 'rad' is generally considered to be a much higher praise than the aforementioned superlatives. Also used as a general expression of awe.
"Those are some rad shoes."
"Oh, RAD."
This was me in the 80's.. maybe around 10 yrs old
This was a word I used frequently when I was a kid in the 80's. I really don't know why it faded out it was such a ....rad word.
So recently I decided to bring it back. The other day Philip and I were texting each other about something, I can't remember and I responded by texting rad. Philip's response was "did you just text RAD?". I told him that I was helping it make a come back. He then stated that the word faded out for a reason. 
Well.. I say let it come back. It's a very good word. I think I'll teach it to my kids. Actually I said it the other day and Jonathon was trying to figure out if his mom just said a cuss word.

No comments: