Apr 24, 2008

I just might have Green Fingers!

I grew up with gardening enthusiasts. My Grandfather was raised at a time and place where you just grew your own fruit and veggies. It was just the thing to do. I can't ever remember my grandparents not having a garden. My mother was then taught this principle and throughout my childhood and adulthood we had gardens. I remember picking a cucumber and eating it right in the garden. I also remember slaving over vegetables I didn't like and of course complaining about it. My favorite time to look out over our California homegrown garden was in the early morning when the sun was just peaking over the horizon or in the early evening when it was just going down. You could smell the fresh earth and know you were a little closer to your Creator somehow by planting something, nourishing it and then harvesting it for you and your family.
So now I think
I'll continue on this tradition of gardening. I've planted things here and there in the past 33 years. I even had a crop of summer squash last summer. But this is going to be for real. I'm making a real garden people! And I am so stoked about it. I found a book thanks to a friend from church. It's called "Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew." It's a very cool concept that I think is so easy and fun. I'll start planting this weekend. What I've read from Mel was quite enlightening for me. I've learned all my life that planting a garden is something you just do. You provide for your family the best you can. Etc.. Here are some things Mel said that I totally agree with. Thanks Mel I've seen the error of my ways and will try to live better. And of course teach my family these principles too.



“And the Lord God took man and put him into the garden to dress it and keep it.”

- GENESIS 2:15

“A religion that is not capable of saving its people temporally will never have power to save them spiritually.”

- Joseph Smith LDS Prophet

“We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can…. Study the best methods. Make your garden… neat and attractive as well as productive.”

- Spencer W. Kimball LDS Prophet


4 comments:

michelle manning said...

I was so glad to see an new blog entry - I've been checking to read the new stuff from you!

That is really cool that you are going to grow your own fruits and veggies. I would really like to have a garden too...I'm not sure if I can pull it off this year or not though - we'll see.

~ Roxanne said...

Great Blog Rose! I love the pictures, layout, color and content!

I was hoping to be able to plant in our garden tonight but still need more fill :o) With all the rain we have had it has been a slow process.

So is Mel Bartholomew LDS? Sure sounds like it by his comments.

I am honored that you have add my link to your blog :o) Rox

Cheramie said...

ok rose, i'm going to try this for the third time! my comments aren't showing up for some reason. i'm glad to know you've got a blog! it looks great, i've added you to my links, i want to see "garden's progress" pictures! home-grown foods are the best.

Valerie Chandler said...

Rose, you are such a very good writer. So clever and fun to read. I love the reminiscing, it helps me know you better.

Good JOB!