Mar 18, 2009

Hannah in my Garden

This is my little adventurist. Hannah had to go out to "mama's" garden and "help" the other day. She's wearing her jammies, and her choice of shoes.
I'm getting ready to start my garden. I think the last frost will be around April 1st. So I'll start then. Wish me luck this garden isn't just for fun anymore, It will help out with the cost of veggies. I also think it's a great learning experience for my kids.
As I was researching a talk last week I came upon a ton of quotes from one of my favorite LDS prophets, President Spencer W. Kimball. He was a huge advocate for gardening, canning, and food storage. Gosh, if folks didn't think it made since 30 years ago to be prepared for unemployment, disaster, and so forth it sure makes since now. Doesn't it?

"We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard. Even those residing in apartments or condominiums can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden as neat and attractive as well as productive. If there are children in your home, involve them in the process with assigned responsibilities."

gardening will “remind us all of the law of the harvest. … We do reap what we sow. Even if the plot of soil you cultivate, plant, and harvest is a small one, it brings human nature closer to nature as was the case in the beginning with our first parents”

“We hope you are making this [gardening project] a family affair, with everyone, even the little ones, assigned to something. There is so much to learn and harvest from your garden, far more than just a crop itself”

All quotes are from President Spencer W. Kimball (1895-1985- LDS Prophet from 1973-1985)

No comments: