Nov 24, 2008

i LOVE my kids.. I do.. I do..I do.. I do.. I do

I really love my children. Especially when there's a make believe owie and I have to put a band-aid on it and it can't be just any type of band-aid. No.. It had to be a princess one. No not Spiderman! No that's Jonathon's band-aids.. but I guess Elmo will do.
Then there's the time yesterday when my son was at church and he didn't want any of the primary kids to see him in his cast. Even though he's already been to school. No.. these kids were different. And last week the boys were rowdy and he's afraid of them.
Last night my kids forgot how to play with toys. All they could figure out how to do was jump on things. Jump off things. Crawl under things. Crawl on things. Oh.. someone got hurt.. Yada, yada, yada. It sometimes gets very frustrating being a parent.

But fortunately there is light.... I am thankful for the wonderful leaders of my church. I love reading their words at times like this.
One of my favorite talks was giving by Sister Barbara Thompson. She says "
Remember that it takes a lot of patience to raise a child. As precious as they are, children can be exasperating, frustrating, and sometimes even naughty. It takes a tremendous amount of patience and restraint in order to avoid doing or saying things we will later regret. Sometimes parents need to put themselves in “time-out” in order to avoid making serious mistakes. Removing yourself from the room for a minute in order to regain control is often very helpful."
Remember, children are precious. They are spirit children of God.... Dear sisters, love and nurture your children. Tell them you love them. Put your arms around them... Children are generally very accepting of their parents and the mistakes parents make. They often forgive, forget, and move on much more quickly than adults do. Don’t feel guilty. Apologize when you have made a mistake. Seek the child’s forgiveness. Change your ways and move on."

It's wonderful to know that I can be a good parent. It may be difficult at times.. Okay most of the time. But it's well worth it.
I love my kids. I do.. I do.. I do.

1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

Okay I definitely need to revisit this talk, maybe memorize it, or at least cut and paste it for easy access.