Nov 22, 2008

My Son's Serial Casting News : Number One

Because of Jonathon's Asperger's Syndrome he has Sensory Integration Dysfunction. Which means that he is sensitive to light, touch, and sound. Because of this he has walked on his toes for the last six of his seven years.
We have been taking him to therapy for the past few years hoping that helping him with his sensory issues that he would eventually stop walking on his toes and start walking on his feet. But unfortunately he's growing too fast, leaving his heal cords too short. Now he can't walk on his feet. So we've taken him to a few doctors and therapists. Some say surgery is the only option and others say braces, casts and stretching.
After many prayers Philip and I decided to try the casting first. Serial casting is where his P.T. (Physical Therapist) stretches his foot to a comfortable stretch position and casts it in a fiberglass cast. It is left on for about a week then taken off. His foot is stretched again but with a bigger stretch and cast again. This process is done over and over until his foot is at the angle that is desire. Then all of this is done on the other foot and is followed with braces and more physical therapy.
Jonathon had his first cast put on last Thursday. Everything went well until 11pm. He woke up wanting me to cut it off.
He cried that he wants to be like everyone else. Our night went on and on with this argument/ discussion about the cast. Until the wee hours of the morning out of the blue he decided to finally go to bed. I felt my heart ache for him. Sometimes I just lock myself in my room and cry. I want to take it all away from my brave little boy.
The next morning he woke me up at 5:30am and said he wanted to go to school. I had bought him a new t-shirt that flashes Mario and I think he wanted to show it to all his friends.
I just prayed over and over that things would be alright at school.
That afternoon when he got off the bus he was all smiles. The day had turned out great. I thank my Heavenly Father every day for such a wonderful little boy.

3 comments:

michelle manning said...

Whoa - his cast is way bigger than I had pictured it. Are they putting a new one on this week?

Rose said...

yes, Wednesday they take this one off, stretch his foot a little more and put another cast on. The cast is a bit large because they put a lot of padding under it so his heal is cushioned and stays put.

~ Roxanne said...

Sending you hugs Rose!