May 21, 2008

Garden update!

This last week I was able to have two salads using the lettuce from my garden. I can't wait to also use the carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers for salads as well. I took some pictures to let ya'll see how my cute little garden is doing
(left)This little plot is for the pumpkins we will carve for Halloween in the fall. The pumpkins are growing extremely fast under our little "green house". (right) I lifted the cage I have on top of my Square Foot Garden to take this picture of the tomatoes and cucumbers. The cage keeps my dog, the neighbors cats, and the birds out of my garden. I don't have a trellis for my crawling plants yet (short on funds).

(left) My lettuce and carrots that are covered with a plastic bag. I planted those from seeds. (middle) The way I water my garden. I conserve water this way. Also it's a good idea to water your plants with "sun warmed" water thanks to Mel Bartholomew's book. (right) My son Jonathon just planted a Lima Bean plant from school into our garden. He was so excited about it.

4 comments:

Mary said...

After you become an expert (I don't think you're very far away), I need you to come help me with a garden! :)

~ Roxanne said...

Looking good Rose. The only things that is growing that I planted from seeds are Radishes. Things that I sprouted did not bounce back from being transplanted.

What is the shelf life on seeds?

Valerie Chandler said...

Look at you go, Rose.

Two salads? Awesome!

Angie said...

Wow...what an inspiration you are! We are trying to get a garden going. Last year was our "test" year...and we had WAY too many tomatoes. In fact, that's ALL we had! We didn't pick our broccoli in time and waited too long to pick our cucumber (we wanted it to get bigger! lol). We're going to try lettuce and potatoes and some tomatoes and peppers, cilantro...you know to make salsa...yumm...Even our 2 year old loves salsa. Must be because I ate mexican food the whole time I was pregnant with her! lol...

GOod luck with your garden!