May 6, 2008

Notes from a gardener

So it's taken some hard work and a lot of dragging the man around to get my garden this far. I'm just about to plant some vegetables. Hopefully I can harvest them before snow hits! It feels like I've been trying to get this done for forever. I've done a lot of drilling and painting and work myself but I can't do so much of the back breaking work because of my Firbromyalgia. The good new is once the major work is done it's done done. I won't ever have to do it again. The garden I'm doing is from a book called Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.
This is a picture of the completed garden box. I painted it to make it last through the winter. I also made it double the height because I want to plant carrots. The boards on top are going to be a grid for my Square Foot Garden.
I'll attach them to the box when I'm done filling it with dirt / Mel's Mix
.1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Compost, and 1/3 Vermiculite. Mix it together and you have the best place for a plant to grow.

These are my little guys all ready for their new bed. The marigolds are for pest control. My garden will be all natural and organic. Yes folks that's right I've gone all natural.
I'll keep you posted on the progress.

1 comment:

~ Roxanne said...

I feel your pain. Next year I am hoping for less rain and an earlier planting time :o)