Dec 14, 2008

Thank You!!

Right now I'm home from church with a sinus infection. The head pain has lessened enough so I can actually see the computer screen.. so here I am.
I have been humbled... that's what I need to say. I don't usually tell folks about our personal or financial situations but I feel that I can make a small exception today. Maybe it's my foggy brain and maybe I'll delete it tomorrow. Who knows, I don't think anyone reads this blog anyway. So...here goes.
Last night Philip and I took our measly amount of money we have left after bills and groceries and went out Christmas shopping for our kids. We hit about four stores and got some really good deals. Philip and I also made a deal with each other this year. We would let Santa take care of gifts for us, the grown ups. Philip would help Santa with my stalking and I would help Santa with his. That's all we can do this year. Thank goodness there's a Santa hu?
After we got home we found and opened a bill that we somehow didn't remember. It was a shut off notice for our gas. Crap!! we both just stared at each other thinking we just can't return our kids Christmas presents to pay the gas bill we just can't! So I ended up going to bed with my major headache and Philip ended up falling asleep on the couch with a stack of bills and the checkbook. About two in the morning Philip got called into work to fix a problem with a server or some such thing and as he got into the car he noticed an envelope. Inside that envelope was a nice Christmas card. Probably the best Christmas card we've ever received.. Ever! It had almost the exact amount of money we needed to pay the gas bill.
So I am humbled, the Lord has blessed us through the loving hands of a brother or sister. Thank you. You will never know how this has blessed us.
Last week I was able to listen to a lesson from a fellow sister in our Enrichment meeting. She spoke on the true meaning of Christmas. I hope I can teach my children that Christmas isn't all about getting but about giving. So I told my son about all of this, the best I could to a seven year old. And he surprised me. He understood in his own way that one of our friends did something nice for us but wanted it to be a secret. It's a really good start. Wouldn't you think?
Again, if you read this and you were the ones that blessed us, thank you.

2 comments:

thepetersens said...

What a great blog! I understand exactly where you guys are at...it is so nice to be humbled by generous gifts, especially when we need them the most! I hope you feel better!

michelle manning said...

Like I said when we talked before, I think it is experiences like this that will remind us all to be the helpers when we are rollin' in dough! (or at least have some to spare.) The great thing about giving service is that we can all do what we are able to at our level. It can be monetary, time, etc. - but we all have something to give.