Dec 31, 2008

The Binky Incident

On Christmas day after we opened presents and breakfast we packed the car and headed southeast to visit my parents in Clarksville. It's about a two hour trip and things were going pretty well until Hannah got tired and asked for her Binky. Philip and I looked at each other with the "dear in the headlights" expression and that's when we realized our trip would swiftly change from pleasant to extremely disastrous.
Do you know how many stores are open on Christmas day? Only gas stations. And do you know how many gas stations carry pacifiers? None that we could find. So we stopped at about five places hoping they would have something in the form of a pacifier all the while
this whaling was bellowing from the back seat.
I know.. I know... some would say that
this was a great time to wean my toddler from a pacifier. But I just didn't want to do it now... at my parents house... on Christmas.
So we made it to my folks and settled in for a little while. Hannah got preoccupied with Papa and Ganma. And Philip and I took off on Christmas night, in the boondocks to look for a store to sell us...
sleep and sanity in the form of rubber and plastic.
No luck, everything was closed, even Walmart... but a thought flew into my mind. It had happened twice before but I brushed it off because it sounded dumb. I told Philip my idea in a joking manner after I had had this thought for the third time. He thought it was a
great idea.. So we did it. We went to the local hospital nursery and asked a nurse if she could help us. After all it was an emergency. She was so nice. She gave us two "newborn" Nuks and wished us a Merry Christmas. We went home with a little trepidation. Would she accept these "baby binkys"?
Hannah gave us a huge smile, plopped the "binky" in her mouth and said "sane- thu- mommy -an-daddy."
I know.. we really need to wean her off of those binkys. But ......when?
I know that on that Christmas day our Heavenly Father answered our prayers. He helps us no matter how little it is. And even on Christmas.

The picture above is of my baby girl without a binky. Isn't her smile beautiful?

1 comment:

Steve said...

I thought this story was funny--a great Christmas memory really. I NEVER would have thought of trying a hospital, I'm impressed! And I'm really glad you were able to find some so that you were able to have a Merry Christmas!