Feb 17, 2009

Modern Wonders

I know that a few folks that read my last entry didn't quite know what to think. But just to make a little update, things are better. Thanks to modern medicine which my doctor doubled about two weeks ago, I can feel a difference in my emotion state and my thoughts. You know it's sometimes amazing how it all works.
I have something called Fibromyalgia and when an individual has Fibro they have less serotonin in their brain. Medical professionals haven't figured out why this is but it's a proven fact. And those that know a little about depression know that individuals that suffer from depression have less serotonin in their brain as well. So I think that over the last 12 years (since I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia) my body no longer makes enough serotonin .. maybe none at all. And an individual can not have a level emotional state without serotonin. So I called my doctor a while back and asked him to increase my antidepressant. It just took a little time for it to take affect. But how thankful I am for modern medicine and a wonderful doctor.
I know that quite a few folks suffer from depression but they don't talk about it and that's okay.
But the topic of depression is not a taboo for me anymore.

I've added some links if anyone wants to educate themselves on either Depression or Fibromyalgia.

"Depression and fibromyalgia often occur together, and that’s not just because being tired and in pain is depressing. Both are diseases of the nervous system involving dysregulation of some of the same neurotransmitters. To be an educated patient of either disease requires basic knowledge of the nervous system."

To learn more about Fibromyalgia click here.
To read a medical journal about Fibromyalgia and Serotonin click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rose, thanks for adding me to your friends on facebook. I was excited. Its so nice to keep in touch with you, although I didn't serve with you. I just knew you were a great sister missionary. I also have symptoms of fibromyalgia. I've gone to a rhuematologists and he ruled out arthritus. Any way he put me on Cymbalta, and we agreed since I don't do well w/ pain meds, to put me on Tramodol that I take with Tylenol Arthritus. So far its working. Still I have my bad days. Well I am glad we've got something in common with fibro, unfortunately. Karlen Schmid