Here I am sitting at home watching Blues Clues for the hundredth time, with a kid that's making a mess with Candy Land in between her tummy problems. I just realized last night I have Pink Eye as well as getting a serious cold. Hannah's birthday is in a few days and our tax return still hasn't arrived while creditors call constantly and the coffers are empty.But you have to laugh right... negative things always come in fives, sixes or however they want. At least I'm not running out the door screaming like I've longed to in the past.
Anyway the reason I started this post was to share about my 72 hour kit preparation. I'm on the Enrichment Committee at church and we just had an activity about preparing your family 72 Hour Emergency Kits. So I thought since I was telling others what they needed to do that maybe I needed to do it as well.
So before we went broke again last week I went to a thrift store and bought the kids some backpacks. I got lucky.. $2 each and their perfect for what I needed. Hannah's is even "little" and "purple". She's only going to need clothes, a coloring book, and water. But she's part of the fam too. I also got two large backpacks at Walmart for Philip and I but it turns out their not really big enough for all we'll need . I'll have to return them and get bigger ones. I saw some at Sams.
I also made a schedule for myself. I'll get the things I need for the 72 hour kits slowly so I won't break the bank doing it.
But I guess the big epiphany I received by doing this was that it's indeed important to be prepared for the event of a disaster. Even if it takes me awhile to do it. I mean haven't we already seen quite a few unfortunate disasters in our time already? I'm sure if you asked the victims of Katrina they would say they never thought they would be out of their home with nothing for days before adequate help arrived.
D&C 88: 119
"Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house , even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; "
Amazing resources:
72 hour kits by Rachel Woods on About.com
Shelf Reliance this site even has a calculator to see how much food/ water you'll need for your individual family.
Provident Living my church's website for preparing for just about everything
2 comments:
Good work Rose! I really am impressed. And okay, you've now lit the much-needed fire under my bum to get going on storage/72-hour kits too. Darn you! (I mean thank you!!) :)
Well I keep telling myself that when the bad comes something really good must be coming around the corner! Of course it doesn't always work.
Today I called Jim crying and got out of the house {besides walking the dog, visiting Wal-mart or the kids school} to eat a quick lunch with him.
Way to go with getting started on your 72 hour kit!
Post a Comment