Oct 17, 2008

A heavy question.

I was given an opportunity to answer a pretty loaded question today. My kids and I were in the car driving home from the Jones Center and out of the blue my son asked me "mom, if your a little kid and you die do our spirits still go to live with God?" My son has a lot of anxieties and I know his real question was would he go to live with God if he died. I started telling him about how everyone has a spirit and when we die our spirits go to live in a temporary Heaven and our bodies are put in the ground or a tomb, like Jesus. I then felt like I should continue and I taught my son all about when Jesus was resurrected and that we too will be resurrected when Jesus comes again to be with us to lead his people. I used examples I knew he would understand.
Mom- "You know that Great-Grandpa's body is buried in a cemetery in California next to Great-Grandma?..
J -"Yes"..
Mom- "Well his spirit will come out of the temporary Heaven and go into his body, he'll come out of the ground with grandma and they'll have perfect bodies. We'll get to hug them and be with them again."
Because I
know my son and I can only imagine what he's thinking of ...you know zombies coming out of the ground and moaning. So I explained it's not scarry at all. It will be wonderful and we'll all be happy.
We then talked about being baptized and a few other things. But I remember telling him that I like talking to him about the gospel and that he's always welcome to ask me questions.
The most wonderful thing was that I had a little moment to thank my Heavenly Father for the knowledge I have about Him, so that in return I can teach my children. I have no doubt what I teach my children is true. And I believe that's quite unique to have in this day and age.

No comments: