Oct 6, 2008

Remembering a Dream

My mission was so long ago that it's like remembering a dream. My dream was in 1996- 1997 in the Oklahoma City Mission. Today I maintain the alumni website for the mission. Because this weekend was General Conference and most mission reunions occur during this time, most return missionaries surf the net and update their profile. So... I got nostalgic myself reviewing RM's profiles and updating the website.
I can't believe it's been almost 11 years. This time 11 years ago I was in Wichita Falls Texas. I had two companions, Hermana Martinez and Sister Hardmen. I can remember streets, our apartment (it stunk like cigarettes), members we knew, the church, my flower bedspread, and some of the people we taught. I even remember the mac and cheese chile the Elders cooked for us. We ate dinn
er sitting in our apartment and the Elders sitting in our doorstep so it was all legal and proper.
Then I remember coming home on November 18th 1997. My heart pounded the whole plane trip. I parted ways with other missionaries in southern California and almost threw up on the plane to Sacremento. I didn't wan
t to go home but I couldn't wait to see my family. I got off the plane and there they were. My dorky sisters holding a sign that read "Welcome Home Sister". I hugged my momma and then I lost it. I was home and I had had the most wonderful, difficult, exhausting, educating, spiritual experiences of my life.
So my mission was
like a dream, a dream that will always be apart of who I am. I know that was very cheesy but oh so true.







Top right:
What can I say we were in the buckle of the Bible belt and the opportunity to get this picture was too good to pass up. I think it was in front of a Pentecostal church.
Middle left: Stillwater OK, University Branch, Elder Scobell (Scooby) passed away last year, Sister Piacitelli is now the executive director of Break Away a non profit org, and Elder
Schilaty is a school counselor in Washington.

Bottom right: National Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC. We were total dorks having total fun. Sister Crawley is a mom of six little ones, and Sister Floyd (Pink) mom of a little girl named after me (her middle name anyway) and lives in South Carolina.

2 comments:

The Ruff Family said...

Hey girl we are bff for life and ever and ever. You were there for me when I found out my mom had cancer. Thank You she is alright now. I never will forget the times we had.. Hmm remember the stop sign that was not a stop sign. Or even the fish in the washing machine. I love ya girl and why wouldnt i name my little girl after you.. and my mommy you are the two people in my life that have stuck by me through it all.
love ya
pink

The Ruff Family said...

Tag your it.. Check out my blog to see the rules