Jan 3, 2009

New Shoes.. No Casts

I'm so excited and happy for my son. We went to get him another set of casts on his legs and he's been doing so well that his P.T. said she'll leave them off for good. Well until he has a large growth spurt. She said she was really surprised at his progress especially after the last setback. Guess who was smiling the most? Yes, Jonathon.
So his legs were molded for night splints to help keep the range of motion that he's achieved these past long weeks of casts. He'll only wear them at night... so awesome.
And as for the day... he now wears orthopedic shoes with inserts made for his feet. They help his feet keep their structure and they help him walk on his feet and not on his toes.
Have you seen orthopedic shoes lately? My.. oh.. my, they have totally changed from the days of ugly and white clod hoppers. These shoes are so cool and Jonathon likes them. They retail for a whopping $100. But the best part is we're so fortunate and blessed to have a pediatric therapy clinic that believes all children should be able to get what they need regardless if their insurance will pay or not and they paid for it. Awesome! I feel so gosh darn blessed right now. But I mostly feel so very proud of my son.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Interesting...we have gone through the same thing with our oldest daughter...she is a habitual toe walker and has been casted 2 times and braces for wearing and nights and inserts for her shoes. She hasn't been too good about leaving the braces on at night, but as she gets older (she's 6 now) I'm finding that she walks on her toes less often...very frustrating thing...I hope Jonathon does well! Congrats!

michelle manning said...

Sweet shoes!

Steve said...

What good news! And hurray that orthopedic shoes have come a long way!